Monday, April 18, 2011

My Pee Smells Funny

When we moved to the farm, back in 1907 one of the first things C wanted to do was to start a garden.  Even before he had picked a location and tilled up the ground he was buying plants.  The very first thing he planted was asparagus.  Writing this I now realize beginning gardeners starting with asparagus sounds either extremely confident, very elitist or just plain gay!  Whatever the case, it was the first thing to go in the ground.  A year or two later, it suffered the same fate as most things around here; we decided it was in the wrong place and moved it.  Considering it takes a long time to establish asparagus, and when you move it you basically start over I was surprised we ever got any results.  But, for several years now it’s had its place in the vegetable garden and the last couple of growing seasons we are finally reaping the rewards of fresh asparagus.  In fact, for about three weeks now we’ve been harvesting a bunch each day.  I’m on asparagus overload!  Which is a good thing. 

My favorite way to prepare and serve it is also the simplest.  After washing and snapping it, lay it out on a sheet pan, toss it with olive oil, course sea salt, freshly ground pepper, lemon zest and a squeeze or two of lemon juice and roast it until tender, but still crisp – about 10 minutes or so depending on the size of the stalks.  Then a couple of minutes before it’s done, I’ll hit it with a very generous amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese and stick it under the boiler just long enough for the cheese to slightly brown and form a thin crust.  Perfection. 

The asparagus crop will soon be ending and we’ll have to move on to the next item.  The lettuce seeds have just gone into the ground.  We usually have very good luck with lettuces.  Soon every meal will consist of some type of lettuce.  And of course being the over confident gay elitists we are, we plant a lot of arugula! 




5 comments:

  1. I was SHOCKED when I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and discovered that asparagus grew straight up form the ground, but was able to confirm it with the wild asparagus at my in-laws. We thought our 4 1/2 year old would think that stinky pea was hilarious, and therefore eat more asparagus, but it had the opposite effect and she won't eat it anymore.

    Her loss, my gain.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, will you email me? I can't seem to find contact info for you, and I'm hoping to rope you in to writing a flashback for my flashback friday series. Heatherjoypeterson@gmail.com

    Hope to hear from you,

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad i found you, love your sense of humor. the asparagus looks delicious and i too think everything i plant will grow. does that make me an elitist? god, i hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg... you already have asparagus??? our neighbor's (which I stalk, no pun intended) won't be up til the middle of summer. I love asparagus... hate smelly pee;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the gayest of all vegetables for sure. i am so impressed with you right now.
    and that is also EXACTLY how i cook my asparagus.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...